Monday, January 17, 2011

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride

Despite all of the negative build up I had going for this book, it turned into quite an enjoyable read.  I still see "Hold me Closer Tiny Dancer" every time I look at the cover, but that's besides the point.  This book taught me not to fall asleep while reading.  What a lesson!  Seriously though, there's so much packed into this debut novel that you really can't be falling asleep while attempting to get through it.  You miss important parts of the storyline and it's all over.  I did myself a favour and re-read and then it all made sense.  There is really enough in here for several more books, but we'll see if McBride has any intention of pursuing this storyline (she'd be crazy not to, the movie version was already coming together in my head as I was reading it).  Anyways!  This is a story of how my life got flip turned upside down and I'd like to take a minute just sit right there, er, I mean, this is a story of a guy who finds out he's a necromancer.  As in, he can summon the dead.  When we first meet Sam, he's at Plumpy's working his crummy job with his best friends.  He quickly gets into a great deal of trouble, finds out all sorts of scandalous family secrets, and is forced to go up against the most powerful necromancer.  There are so many side stories going on in this book, I don't know where to begin, so I think I just won't.  I am so confident that this will turn into more books that I will just wait to review those.  Also, if you haven't picked up the song reference yet, I will point out that each chapter is cleverly summed up with the title of a song.  This book won't be loved by all, but it certainly won't be loved if you fall asleep while reading it.  SO WAKE UP and enjoy.   

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're reviewing so many books that I've recommended.

    I'm glad you stuck with it too. I really liked the book. An original voice to the usual teen fantasy genre. If you enjoyed this book, you should also check out Paranormalcy by White, unless you've read it already. I think the two books are similar in flavour.

    BTW, Will you also be posting books that you did not enjoy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't read much teen fantasy, although I guess I have been lately. It's so much better than adult fantasy, which is not always grounded in anything close to reality (something I require as a springboard).

    I will be posting about books I did not enjoy. When I read one, I'll let you know! I'm currently reading A Great and Terrible Beauty. It's written really formally (which I don't necessarily like re: aversion to classics), but so far it's not bothering me too much.

    ReplyDelete