Saturday, January 7, 2012

Rot & Ruin by Jonathan Maberry


Lately, all I want to do is read about zombies.  The adventures are epic, the love stories are intense and the immediacy is palpable.  Since I have been reading a lot of zombie books (I'm going to have to start catching up with my reviews), I tend to compare them with one another.  Risky business if you are a teen fiction zombie writer.
Rot & Ruin is the story of Benny Imura, a 15 year old boy who better find a job quick or else his food rations are going to be cut in half.  Food usually motivates most 15 year old boys, and Benny is no exception.  He checks out several jobs at the beginning of the story, inside the protected fences of Mountainside.   This town is a small community that has no zombies in it.  Everywhere outside of the fence-- zombies!  Benny hates zombies.  So does his brother, Tom.  Or does he?  Benny decides to take  up the family business and apprentice as a bounty hunter.  The only problem is that he has to learn under the annoying watch of his older, cowardly brother.  Benny finds out quickly that the life of a zombie hunter isn't as glorified as he once thought it was.  This book has some great humour in it, especially the relationship between Benny and his friends Chong, Morgie and Nix.  It also has an interesting love story woven in.  And the adventure, oh the adventure!  Can you tell I liked this book?  It's one of my very favourite zombie stories and I think you should read it too.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. I think everyone should read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, i think that i saw you visited my weblog thus i came to “return the favor”.I am trying to find things to improve my site!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!
    Boogie Wipes, Great Grape (Pack of 12)

    ReplyDelete