Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Partials by Dan Wells


I borrowed this advanced reader's copy from a friend.  She said, "YOU HAVE TO READ THIS."  So I did.  I don't always do what I'm told, but when it comes to books, I usually listen.  The heroine of this book, Kira Walker, is an interesting girl.  I've been noticing a lot lately with the post-apocalyptic and dystopian fiction I've been reading that heroines need some help.  Kira is no exception.  Let me explain.
In Partials, Kira has been working in the delivery ward as a nurse at the hospital.  She delivers babies only to watch them die because of the RM virus, a disease brought on by the Partials.  The Partials are robots that look like humans that the government created to fight wars for humans.  Except one day they turned on their creators and released a deadly virus that wiped out most of the population.  The survivors banded together and created a leftover civilization as best as they could.  They imposed rules on the survivors.  One of the rules is that women over 18 must get pregnant and give birth as often as possible. The babies are studied and data recorded.  But every single one of them dies.  When Kira's sister gets pregnant, Kira decides that enough is enough and she vows to save the baby's life.  She leaves the safety of the compound she lives in and goes on a wild and dangerous adventure.  The story has romance, mystery, action and the promise of an interesting story that follows this one.
My only problem with this book was the fact that once again, a female lead is underestimated by herself and the others around her and she spends most of the book figuring out that she is smart enough and brave enough to do what must be done.  It's part of her character evolution in the book, but I'm getting tired of it!
All in all, a great read and a book I will definitely be recommending to others!

No comments:

Post a Comment